I'm not racist but [insert something racist]

No comments

(image source: 'If you are not angry you are not paying attention'
 www.thethingswesay.com;
22.06.2014)

Being a white girl from Germany, visiting another country often comes with sentences such as "So you're from Germany, what do you think about Hitler?". I used to get really offended by things like that because how could someone, just because of my nationality assume that I'm a racist piece of shit who runs around with their right arm up in the air? But yesterday's World Cup Match (Ghana - Germany) made me think. I've read so many extremely racist tweets, I've heard about so many people screaming pro-nazi songs and Nazi Salutes that I'm honestly not sure whether or not it's somehow logic that people ask me if I'm a proponent of nazism. The entire village I live in is covered in black-red-gold. And people still wonder why I'm ashamed of being a part of this nation. I know that it's not my fault what happened under Hitler's rule and I know that I can't change the fact that my great-grandmother could have been a nazi sympathiser (which she wasn't, props to her), but what I can do is helping to prevent history of repeating itself. But apparently, a lot of people still don't get that.

My favourite joke this year is definitely the Fifa campaign against racism. Several white people showed up at the stadium with their faces painted black and probably the worst thing about this are the people who lined up for a photo with them. I do not understand how Fifa have this massive "Say no to discrimination"-campaign but do not ban people like that from the stadium. Or from the country. Or from this planet. The fact that they didn't even bother to send security guards down to the pitch when this one guy decided to run onto the pitch and spread his nazi-messages during the match shocked me. Muntari, a Ghana midfielder, had to usher him off the field.
After I read on twitter about the guy being a nazi sympathiser I decided to do some research and found absolutely nothing on the subject. Well, at least not on any german websites. The only thing they wrote was something along the lines of "a young man ran half-naked across the pitch but didn't attack anyone, he looked happy and peaceful, praise him, such a great guy! 10/10, would recommend a friend!".

Reading yesterday's tweets, I realised that I must have slept through that one subject in school where they taught us that it's completely okay to make racist jokes because it is just some people's sense of humour. You are also not racist if you tweet the n-word several times as long as it happens in the context of the World Cup. Don't support Ghana? Let's make ALL the jokes about AIDS and poverty, let's borrow ALL the clichés, it's completely okay! You're just not a fan of their football team! Go for it!
And to all the people out there who are obviously not racist: Saying "I'm not racist but..." before saying something racist does not soften what you are going to say and with starting a sentence that way, you lost the right to speak to me.

I do not understand how after all that has happened, people still don't get the importance of this matter. White people do not get to decide when people of colour are allowed to feel discriminated, majorities do not have the right to tell minorities when to feel oppressed. It's really not that hard to understand. Don't be a piece of junk, think before you speak, don't let history repeat itself.

No comments :

Post a Comment